It is important to try and maintain as much power in the thumb as possible
without irritating it.
Try these Exercises to ease the pain of arthritis in your Thumbs, Hands and Fingers.
1. Using a thin elastic band around the thumb and index finger, open and close
the thumb away from the finger 10 times, without causing pain.
2. Grip something such as a rolled up tea towel, and slowly grip and hold, repeat
3. If you can get hold of some blue tack or plasticine then holding it against
you're the good hand try to make indents in it or mould it with your thumb is a
good exercise (without straining the thumb). Do for about 3-5 mins.
4. Start with hands and forearms on the table, palms down. Lift the thumbs up off the table, hold, and lower. Repeat with each finger, keeping the other finger flat on the table.
5.Start with hands and forearms on the table, palms down.Keeping your elbows bent, roll the hands outwards, trying to touch the table with the tips of the thumb.
6.Start with the elbows supported on a table or arms of chair with hands up. Make a circle between the tip of the thumb and the index finger, hold for 5 and then open and stretch the hand. Repeat to each finger.
7. Start with shoulders relaxed and elbows at right angles. Place a piece of paper between the thumb and index finger as if holding a door key. Gently try to pull it away with your other hand, resisting that pull with the hand being exercised, hold for a count of 5 then Repeat with each hand and between each finger.
8. Start with hands and forearms on the table, palms down. Walk each finger towards the thumb, keeping the wrists still. Then lift the whole forearm and hand, reposition and repeat.
NOTE: These exercises should not cause further pain in your thumb. If
they do, discontinue with the exercises.